So, Prime looks decent in robot mode but the alt mode cab lights really seem to stick out a bit much for my tastes. Sideswipe is a slick design and I'll probably snag him since I never got any better options, and I really wish they'd do more for the Targetmasters than give them the same transformation they had back in G1, or at least mold it better like Cyclonus and Nightstick in Generations.
That said, I was kinda hoping for more Cybertronian forms for something like this. If they're just "slightly sci-fi" vehicles of G1 clones, I'll probably grab the ones that I don't have already as toys and skip a few more, barring some impressive implementations. I only got PotP Starscream because he was a combiner core, given I had Generations Leaderscream, so another Starscream here has a hard sell.
Yeah, those...those top lights look really freakin' weird. He looks neat in robot mode, though. And I seriously dig the idea of his axe transforming into a shield.
As for the why the forms don't look too Cybertronian...maybe they're re-purposing the War for Cybertron name (I noticed they added "Siege"), kind of like how Robots in Disguise was used for two different cartoons. So it's a "War for Cybertron" after they've obtained Earth modes or something.
If you want something done, it's going to take time. If you want something done RIGHT, it's going to take longer.
The thing i like about this is that they're going off the Evergreen designs now. There's no more wondering "Can we get a Generations version of Cyberverse Optimus Prime?" because that's it right there. That's Sideswipe. I"m sure the rest will be too.
And as for the price increase... I was expecting this for a while. Hasbro has had this categorization for a while with Star Wars and Marvel. Smaller preschool friendly toyline with the Galactic Heroes, Super Heroes and Rescue Bots), Mid range line with the less posable cheaper toys, like the 3.25 Star Wars figures, the 6 inch Avengers/Spider-Man toys and Cyberverse. And the $20+ premium line, like Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black and now Generations.
My only wish is that Hasbro would up the game for the Cyberverse line. Because its got potential, but needs more work.
I'm....and this is probably funny after I was all over the Prime Wars trilogy... I'm underwhelmed.
Sideswipe is cool because I don't have one. Same for Hound. I have a pretty decent Ultra Magnus unless this one's gimmick is better. Prime's so-so and so G1 it hurts me from the lack of innovation. Dunno who the new guy is that seems to break down into weapons, and the Micromasters are....Micromasters. Yay?
I dunno, they might have something more interesting when the Decepticons get shown, but thus far, this mostly feels like another rehash of G1 characters and not even obscure ones that haven't gotten prior toys like TR was. I'm kinda meh in reaction, which is sad after the last three lines were sweet for me.
Gotta say, this is a bit more interesting, though the visual design is so greebly I'm astonished. Prime is still a hot pie of "meh", but Ultra Magnus's vehicle mode is a shout out to RID of all things, we have Chromia and Ironhide, and the Micromasters are hitting me with nostalgia for the random Transformers I had as a kid before I was aware separate toylines were a thing. Similarly, apparently the Weaponmasters split into guns for other figures, their own robot mode, and their own alt mode, so that'll be interesting.
More interested than I was with the previous bit there, so we'll see where this goes, but optimism is rising.
Post by Deinonychus on Jul 19, 2018 13:31:53 GMT -5
Whew...glad I decided to do Power of the Primes for old times' sake (and to get those sweet, sweet Dinobots and Terrorcons) and get back out.
That Magnus does look pretty sweet though. kind of burns me that I just this week nutted-up and bought the last Magnus that came out from BBTS that I dithered over for too long. Still, the Magnus I bought has Minimus Ambus so really that's the better one.
Those Micromasters though, those do hit in the nostalgia for some reason. Might still pick several of those up. I'm positive I still have the originals socked away that I bought off of Goji when he purged years ago.
Looking over the whole line... I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. There's a few I'll definitely get, but it's mostly out of necessity than outright admiration.
- Ironhide and Hound: I'll get them. But mainly because I want some decent toys of them. (And Ironhide brings us Ratchet too.)
- Sideswipe: I'm not totally sold on, but not totally turned off of either. It'll be one of those "wait for the review" deals.
- Chromia: I got a perfectly good Chromia from 2014 here. I don't need the leprosy edition.
- Cog: Fuck, I got Fortress Maximus for a wedding gift. I might as well complete the set.
- Optimus: I kinda like. If I see him an have the spare cash, I might plunk down for him. But like Sideswipe, if I don't, I don't. (I'm actually more interested in that Warrior Optimus with Trailer from the Cyberverse line.)
- Ultra Magnus: My Minimus Ambus guy is still frickin' perfect for me. And I've always liked the more baby blue colors than the dark blue colors. But honestly... I DO like the look of him. If I have the spare money, and I see him cheap enough, I'll snag him, and call him an earlier Magnus. (Like the original Magnus or something.)
- Micromasters: Christ, I can't resist Micromasters. I'll get them all.
- Prime's still meh. If I see him on clearance, I might grab him, but he doesn't do enough different. - Cog is great in terms of playability both as himself and with other figures. - Sideswipe and Hound are figures that I either don't have one of (Sideswipe) or have one but this one looks good as a standalone (Hound) rather than a combiner. - Ironhide and Chromia I like, even if a touch greebly. Hoping Chromia's a combiner limb to add to Elita, given the similarity to Moonracer and Firestar in PotP, but not convinced yet. - Hoping Ratchet and Sunstreaker might show up later given the molds. - Micromasters look great. These will probably be the part of this line I go completionist on. - Ultra Magnus started out looking boring, but the Car Robots/RID alt mode and the fact he's actually a White Prime in Armor which I don't think we've had a Hasbro toy that does that since G1 make me kinda intrigued.
Optimal Megatron: I'd consider buying that. I mean, visually, it's cool. It's just....does it need to be a small child?
Aug 21, 2019 12:17:18 GMT -5
iacon45: Wonder if Haslab Unicron fails, if they might try to a more scaled down release.
Aug 20, 2019 21:53:22 GMT -5
iacon45: I'm about to give up on the rainmaker set. Can't afford it now if it was available though.
Aug 20, 2019 21:35:37 GMT -5
iacon45: I was about to give up on Siege Micromasters but decided to pick up the Off Road team pack since they were a favorite back in the day. Weapon mode aside, these two restored my faith a bit. Both feel solid and don't have random parts popping off.
Aug 20, 2019 12:50:13 GMT -5
iacon45: Speaking of the Skywarp set, I need to take out the three Battlemasters before I toss the box.
Aug 19, 2019 18:42:44 GMT -5
iacon45: At least it's not SS Shatter bad.
Aug 19, 2019 18:40:49 GMT -5
Optimal Megatron: And got my Skywarp. Mine's chest is staying on pretty well, so I guess it's a toss-up
Aug 19, 2019 18:15:03 GMT -5
iacon45: Just got a processing soon email on Hightower from BBTS. Glad I made that back up pre-order a few months ago.
Aug 19, 2019 17:21:16 GMT -5
iacon45: Wonder how many are disappointed they dont combine
Aug 19, 2019 16:46:21 GMT -5